Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Da Vinci Code Quest

Just like that Chris Kohler dude over at Wired, I got involved with the Da Vinci Code early. JCQ and I had stumbled across the webgame one lazy Saturday, and we did all right with it up to the point where it directly references the book -- which I found blatantly unfair. JCQ actually ran out and purchased the book that afternoon, and then we were able to complete the game.

The writing itself is... crappy. It's crappy, okay? But the story sucked me in so hard it left friction burns on my retinas. I couldn't put it down. I gave up TV. I was juggling my daily responsibilities so I could get back to reading the book.

Now the movie's coming out, and there's a renewed interest in the Da Vinci Code. So much so that Google has released a new webgame that ties in to the movie: 24 puzzles released until May 11, at which point they vanish. If you manage to solve all the puzzles, Sony Pictures is giving away nearly half a million dollars worth of swag -- but only to US residents, which is a total drag. It's swag drag.

Link (via Google Blog)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such stupid brain-dead puzzles. The author of the blog on googleblog says that he designed 200 puzzles in college before he got exhausted. Looks like he's still exhausted. What happened to those 200 puzzles? Are they in these 24 puzzles? My cat can solve these jokes.

Deron said...

I agree, I haven't found anything yet that's straining my grey matter. But the better question is how the 12,358 puzzles they've apparently come up with have been distributed. What I assume is that each person will get a random assortment of 24 puzzles out of the puzzle pool, but with my limited sample size (i.e. - 1) it's impossible to tell.

I guess there's a prime opportunity for someone to start a Google Puzzle Blog and have people post screenshots and solutions in an attempt to catalog all the puzzles. But that's beyond the scope of this site (and my patience!).

If you're looking for better puzzles , and not just a chance to complain about Google, try Dumb: The Game. There are some solid stumpers there.

http://www.dumbthegame.com/