Sunday, April 16, 2006

Pop Can Inventions

Creative (and inventive) genius Rob Cockerham has built an aeolipile out of a pop can. Yes, the masses can refer to it as Hero's Engine, but here at FeedMonkey it's all edutainment all the time. Rob's engine is a little impractical because, like Hero, I don't see an easy way to harness the power produced. But it's great science in action, and at the price of a can of pop, it's super cheap. There are some great pictures, too.

This reminded me about the trick of lighting a fire with a pop can and a chocolate bar. I also found instructions on building a propane stove out of a pop can, but it's not something you can do while out in the bush. But now that I have a Dremel tool, I may try it out for camping this summer.

Link to Cockeyed's Hero's Engine
Link to pop can fire starter
Link to pop can stove

No comments: