Sunday, June 18, 2006

Golf-Ball Finding Glasses


A lot of the links I put up on FeedMonkey come from me talking to people. The conversation usually goes, "Did you hear about the Grateful Dead's drummer's signature found on a zucchini grown in Rhode Island? Oh, I'll send you the link." But part of the reason I started this blog wasn't just to highlight the things I find interesting, but also to provide a catch-all location I could point people to instead of sending a link.

I'd browsed through Hammacher Schlemmer before, and I think it's an interesting site with a bunch of cool stuff. I found it while I was looking for wedding gifts, but I didn't post a link to it because I didn't understand how it differed from any of the other similar stores out there, like the Sharper Image. Well, I still don't think it stands out in any respects (with the exception of offering this awesome R2-D2 robot that I totally drool over at every opportunity), but my dad was interested in hearing about their golf ball finding glasses. So here's the link.

They look like an ordinary pair of sunglasses, but they're specially polarized to block out long wavelength light -- that's green and brown light to lay-people like you and me -- and allow shorter wavelengths to filter through. The pictures look impressive, and my dad tells me he's never seen anything similar advertised on the Golf Channel. The price is a little steep at $40, and probably rooted in the tradition of over-priced golf accessories, but with a box of good golf balls clocking in at $58, you'd really only need to find eight stray ones to make your money back.

Link

No comments: