Thursday, June 08, 2006

Google Maps Pedometer

One of the great things about Google is how most of their cool stuff is released with SDKs (software development kits), allowing both talented and not-so hackers to provide new and exciting things based on Google's technology. We've already seen some interesting stuff through use of the search engine (Googlewhack, Googlefight, Googlism, et al).

Gmaps Pedometer is a cool hack of Google Maps that allows you to record the distance you travel through various checkpoints. It's great for runners (like me) because it allows you to find the distance on non-standard routes, like running paths through parks or around a lake. It's also got a completely useless calorie counting feature that I don't recommend, and a route saving feature that I do. In fact, check out the 4km route I've been running with my dog.

Link

No comments: